Sabina Olive Oil P.D.O
Description Sabina Olive Oil PDO
Sabina PDO extra virgin olive oil is obtained from the Frantoio, Carboncella, Leccino, Raja, Pendolino, Moraiolo, Olivastrone, Salviana, Olivato and Rosciola olive varieties, which must make up at least 75% of the groves, individually or mixed. The remaining 25% can be made up of other varieties.
Production MethodSabina Olive Oil PDO
Each olive harvest must take place between October 1st and January 31st.
Before milling the olives must be washed at room temperature; they cannot undergo any other treatment.
The oil yield must not exceed 25%.
Appearance and Flavour Sabina Olive Oil PDO
Sabina PDO extra virgin olive oil is yellow-green in colour with golden hues, and has a fruity aroma.
The fruity and velvety flavour is homogenous, sweet and aromatic, or bitter and piquant in freshly pressed oils.
GastronomyS abina Olive Oil PDO
Extra virgin olive oil is highly perishable and it is therefore important that it is stored correctly in order to maintain its organoleptic characteristics.
It should be kept in a cool, dark place at a temperature between 14 and 18°C, away from heat sources and away from other foods that release odours.
It should be consumed within four to six months of pressing to fully appreciate its qualities.
The Sabina Protected Designation of Origin extra virgin olive oil is extremely versatile.
It is the perfect condiment for bruschetta, crudité, meat and fish carpaccios, shellfish, braised or roast meats and game.
It is also ideal for frying as it maintains its characteristics at high temperatures.
Marketing Sabina Olive Oil PDO
The product is marketed as Sabina PDO extra virgin olive oil. It is sold in glass, ceramic or tin plate recipients of no more than 5 litres, or in single-dose sachets. The label must indicate the year of production.
It is prohibited to add any other description not expressly provided for in the product specification, including the adjectives: fine (fine), scelto (selected), selezionato (selected), superiore (superior) or genuino (genuine).
No additional geographical references, or geographical or topographical indications referring to Municipalities, Districts or geographical areas within the production area may be used. The name Sabina must appear on the label in clear, indelible lettering so that it can be clearly distinguished from the other information given on the label.
Distinctive Features Sabina Olive Oil PDO
Sabina PDO extra virgin olive oil is characterised by a maximum acidity of 0.6 g per 100 g of oil.
History Sabina Olive Oil PDO
The cultivation of olive trees and the production of olive oil in the Sabina area date back thousands of years.
In fact, olive stones found during archaeological excavations in the town of Curas date back to the Seventh or Sixth century B.C, while the oldest olive tree in Europe can still be seen today in the city of
Production Area Sabina Olive Oil PDO
The production, processing and bottling-packaging area of Sabina PDO extra virgin olive oil is located in the historical-geographical region of Sabina, in the provinces of Rieti and Rome, in the Lazio region.